Thursday, September 21, 2017

Chip

Last month, I saw this juvenile crow at my apartment complex--note the chipped beak:



I fed it, and the other crows, some nuts and peanut butter pretzels. Then, for a few weeks, I didn't see the crow with the chipped beak at all-- until this week:


 The crow's neck feathers have grown in nicely, and its beak appears to have healed slightly but still have a distinctive indentation. (According to crow expert Kaeli Swift *, broken beaks can regrow if the breakage only affects the outer keratin cover, not the underlying bone, as seems to be the case here.)
The same crow amid aeoniums
* An ornithologist named Swift is a fine case of nominative determinism. I also know of a marine biologist named Helen Scales, a TV weather forecaster named Dallas Raines, and (my personal favorite) a 19th-century psychologist named Sir Henry Head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment